School District No. 53 (Okanagan Similkameen) Transportation Code of Conduct for Bus Students
The Board of Education of School District No. 53 expects that every person who uses the district bus services will ensure that each trip is a safe and pleasant experience for all passengers and the driver. Every person using the bus will demonstrate a concern for safety and respect for all passengers and their bus by observing the following rules and regulations:
- Avoid unruly behavior at your stop; riders shall line up and enter the bus in an orderly manner.
- Riders shall sit in the seats assigned by the driver and will co-operate with the driver in accommodating other student's seating needs (e.g. seating three to a seat). Seats may be reassigned at the driver's discretion. Provincial Health Officer guidelines for seating will be followed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Riders must remain seated and orderly at all times when the bus is in motion.
- Eatng of lunches and snacks shall be allowed at the discretion of the driver. If abused, this privilege shall be suspended.
- After disembarking, if riders need to cross the road from the designated stop, they shall do so in front of the stopped bus and only on the signal of the bus driver. Crossing the road behind the bus is dangerous and is not permitted.
- Small band instruments or other carry-on items contained in an appropriate fashion and that can be easily accommodated in the lap of the rider may be taken on the school bus (e.g. skateboards must be in a pack or carrying device). The object cannot be larger than the top of the next seat or impede the safe use of the seat next or across. No pets or animals allowed.
- Smoking and the lighting of fires, matches or lighters is strictly prohibited.
- The consumption or transport of alcohol, drugs/narcotics or any illegal substances is strictly prohibited.
- Throwing of objects/garbage inside the bus or out the windows is prohibited.
- No horseplay, bullying, intimidation, spitting or fighting, etc.
- Loudness is to be at a minimum, do not yell or scream.
- No vandalism or graffiti of the bus.
- No obscene language or gestures.